Richard Webb,, CC BY-SA 2.0
Stow of Wedale, or more often Stow, /ˈstaʊ/[discuss] is a village in the Scottish Borders area of Scotland (historically Midlothian), 7 miles (11 kilometres) north of Galashiels.
The name Stow is an Old English word stōw meaning 'holy place' or 'meeting place', whilst Wedale is probably derived from the words wēoh (or wīg) meaning 'shrine' and dæl meaning 'valley'
There has been a church at Stow since the 7th century, but the earliest example still visible today was built in the late 15th century onStow the site of the Church of St Mary which was consecrated on 3 November 1242.
The church used today, St Mary of Wedale, was built in 1876 and features a 140-foot-high clock tower.
Our Lady's Well is situated 1 mile (2 kilometres) south of the village and was rebuilt in 2000.
A rare example of a packhorse bridge, built in the 1650s, can be found in Stow.
Stow of Wedale Town Hall was completed in 1857.
Skip hire in Stow?
Hawick Skip hire covers and services Stow and the surrounding areas in North Northumberland and the Scottish Borders offering a same day service, 7 days a week